The Satanic Temple currently offers two series of weekly virtual religious services:
9:00pm US Eastern Time
The Satanic Estate
The Satanic Temple TV
Services on both platforms offer a live chat so that the audience can socialize with each other before and after the service, and share their thoughts and reactions to the discussion on the live stream. In the chat room there will always be one or more Chat Moderators who are there to help manage activity in the room during service, ensure everyone is following proper rules of conduct, convey important information to the audience, and answer questions.
What are Chat Moderator responsibilities?
If you have never attended one of The Satanic Temple’s religious services, read About Our Religious Services before you do anything else. That page gives you an overview of what services are like and what to expect.
The responsibilities of a Chat Moderator are fairly simple and straight-forward, but you should make sure you are familiar with them. If you have agreed to be a chat moderator during a service, please read through this entire document so you know what you are expected to do.
One hour before service starts
- Arrive when the chat room opens: the chats open one hour prior to the start of service for both Temple Tuesdays and Temple Weekend Services.
- Send a message to the minister leading services, so they know you have arrived. Make sure you have a way to message them privately, e.g.: text message, Whats App, Slack DM, etc.
- Announce yourself in the chat when you arrive: let people know that you will be moderating and that people can turn to you if they have questions.
- Keep pleasant conversation going while people are waiting.
30 minutes before service starts
- If the minister leading service has an “open panel” and would like people from the chat to join, paste instructions in the chat for how to join the zoom. The Zoom link is different depending on whether you are moderating Temple Tuesday on The Satanic Estate or Temple Weekend Services on The Satanic Temple TV. The rest of the instructions are the same. Examples of the text for both platforms are included below so you can easily copy-paste the text from here.
Hello everyone! Thanks for coming to tonight’s service. If you’d like to be on the live stream to be part of the conversation, please join this meeting link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85621535195. There are a limited number of spots, so please only join if you plan to actively participate.
Temple Weekend Services:
Hello everyone! Thanks for coming to tonight’s service. If you’d like to be on the live stream to be part of the conversation, please join this meeting link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85446505750. There are a limited number of spots, so please only join if you plan to actively participate
- Keep re-posting the instructions every so often, especially when the text scrolls off of the screen because of the chat discussion.
- When the minister texts you to tell you that all of the Zoom spots are filled, you should share that update in the chat so people do not continue to try to join. For example, you may simply copy and paste the following:
All of the Zoom seats are filled! This will be an exciting discussion. Please continue to hang out here in the text chat. Services will begin shortly.
During the service
- At the very start of service, when the minister is delivering the opening welcome statements, they will mention that it is possible for people to donate directly to Religious Services if they wish. When the minister mentions this, you should paste the following link in the chat: https://tst.link/donate-to-services
- IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to make sure that the chat remains on-topic and focused on the services.
- Be nice, but firm.
- When people start fishing for attention, bringing up unrelated topics to discuss, or engaging in other behavior that will distract from services, please act to stop that behavior.
- You may want to keep some handy messages on-hand to copy-and-paste. For example:
This is just a reminder that some people have a tough time following the conversation on the live stream when there is too much back-and-forth conversation in the chat! Please be considerate of others who are trying to enjoy today’s service.
- Remember that everyone is excited to be here, so keep people on topic… but make sure they have some fun!